Dr. McQuillan strongly recommends that all patients over 65 who have multifocals must also have a separate pair of single focus lenses for walking...
- 1 out of 3 Seniors over 65 fall every year. Many will break a bone – for about half, it will be a hip.
- About 1/3 of those who fall will never regain full mobility again.
- About ¼ of those who fall will not survive a year.
- Multifocals (bifocals, trifocals and progressive addition lenses) may increase the risk of falling because the ground is blurry.
- A study in Australia showed that people over 70 years of age who are regularly outside and had single focus glasses for walking fell 40% less often.